Bell Yard Communications is a small, respected PR agency focusing on litigation PR and PR for businesses and individuals in the legal sector.
Founded in 2002 by Director, Melanie Riley, the agency built its name representing high-profile clients in times of civil dispute, criminal prosecution or regulatory investigation. These days, Bell Yard consultants are as well-known and valued as communications advisers to the legal community, providing day-to-day strategic counsel to partners, law firms and chambers alike.
The agency’s output defies its size. It values its highly collegiate, meritocratic atmosphere and flexible, non-hierarchical structure.
Bell Yard is seeking an experienced PR consultant to advise clients in the legal community on their profile-raising communications programmes and sensitive reputational matters. Ideally a full-time position, but applicants seeking to work 4 days per week would also be considered.
The chosen candidate will join a close-knit, friendly, supportive and busy team and will be exposed to a combination of challenging, but always interesting, assignments. The candidate will primarily report to one existing senior team member, though ultimately to the agency’s Director. The candidate will support this senior consultant on their existing retained accounts, and work with the agency on securing new business opportunities. The candidate, in turn, will be supported by the very able Office Manager/Client Service Executive.
The post holder would work on a mixture of consumer- and B2B- facing PR programmes for Bell Yard’s retained law firm accounts.
The primary focus of the role is traditional media relations, although there would be social media work and other PR-related tasks too.
- Client Management: implementing communications strategies and PR plans for clients seeking to raise their profile in international, broadcast, domestic, trade, lifestyle magazines and social media environments. Daily engagement with clients ensuring continuous provision of professional, intelligent, considered and timely communications support.
- Client Administration: responsible for the provision of monthly and annual reporting of PR activity to clients as well as overseeing the management of press lists, and attending and reporting on client meetings and media interviews.
- Marketing Responsibilities as part of the team, identifying creative subject matter for blogging on the company’s website, and exploiting that content via social media channels.
- New Business Development: working with colleagues to identify appropriate, targeted new business opportunities and to assist with research in preparation for agency pitches to convert these potential opportunities into new clients.
- Business Networking: including regular engagement with, or attendance at events involving lawyers, barristers and intermediaries as well as with journalists key to the sectors in which our clients operate.
- Litigation PR Support: assisting the Director with litigation PR mandates as demand requires.
- Crisis comms: supporting the team with these instructions.
- Only assured, experienced, eloquent, organised, efficient and professional individuals, who would instantly inspire client confidence, need apply
- At least 3 years’ prior experience in legal/professional services communications is a pre-requisite, and a working understanding of the financial services industry is desirable
- Innate ‘news’ sense is a must, as is the tenacity, confidence and creativity to place stories -sometimes despite the most challenging of briefs
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are essential
- Candidate must be a team player able to fit within the close-knit, down-to-earth and collaborative culture of our small agency
- Flexibility, reliability, self-motivation, discretion and trustworthiness are crucial
- Strong IT and social media skills are important
- A positive outlook and calm demeanour when under pressure is key.
- Hours: Full time
- Salary: Depending on experience
- 2 references to be supplied on request.
The role is open to all who have a right to work in the UK. Applications, submitted in confidence, should take the form of a CV and cover letter to be addressed to Melanie Riley, Bell Yard Communications (Melanie@bell-yard.com).